November 3, 2023
New Bern, N.C.
City of New Bern
Depending upon experience and level of training performs skilled work assisting in the construction, maintenance and repair of electric transmission and distribution lines; does related work as required. Works in all aspects of electric utility system.
Electric Line Worker 1st Class – $45,158 – $73,795
Electric Line Worker 2nd Class – $40,959 – $66,662
Electric Line Worker 3rd Class – $37,152 – $60,464
Electric Groundworker – $32,093 – $52,231
Installing, maintaining and repairing low voltage power lines and related distribution system facilities.
(The following tasks are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work performed. The omission of specific duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment to the position.)
- Climbs wooden poles and works from heights.
- Performs live work on secondary circuits.
- Helps perform installation, maintenance and repair work on power lines.
- Installs and repairs underground cable.
- Operates line truck, auger, bucket truck, trenchers and backhoes.
- Hangs and removes transformers and wires up secondaries; hangs capacitors.
- Installs, repairs and replaces cross arms, leg supports, cable, insulator and lightning arrestors.
- Performs required line work on de-energized high voltage circuits.
- Installs low voltage underground and overhead services.
- Assists in the installation of new and replacement poles.
- Installs, repairs and maintains street lights.
- Responds to emergency calls and assists with a variety of problems under adverse weather conditions.
- Works standby on rotation basis and during emergencies.
- Performs related tasks as required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
General knowledge of electric line construction, maintenance and repair and the safety hazards encountered; ability to set poles, string wire and do related work; ability to perform work in accordance with standard methods and procedures; ability to follow oral directions; ability to observe safety rules and regulations; strength to perform manual work and physical stamina to withstand working under adverse weather conditions; ability to climb poles and work off climbing hooks; skill in the operation of a variety of line maintenance equipment; ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with associates and the general public.
Education and Experience:
Any combination of education and experience equivalent to graduation from high school.
Possession of an appropriate commercial driver’s license valid in the State of North Carolina.
Electric Line Worker 1st class – Possession of Powerline Technician Level I, II, and III, or extensive experience as an Electric Line Worker including considerable experience at the Electric Line Worker IIII level. First aid and CPR certifications.
Electric Line Worker 2nd Class – Possession of Powerline Technician Level I and II, or considerable experience as an Electric Line Worker 3rd Class. First aid and CPR certifications.
Electric Line Worker 3rd Class – Possession of Powerline Technician Level I, or extensive experience as an Electric Groundworker. First aid and CPR certifications.
The City of New Bern is an Equal Opportunity Employer.