December 17, 2018
New Bern, N.C.
City of New Bern
Performs responsible professional work supervising and participating in the operation, maintenance, installation, repair and load monitoring of substations; does related work as required. Work is performed under the general supervision of the Director of Utilities. Supervision is exercised over division personnel.
Overseeing the installation, operation, maintenance and repair of substation and distribution system facilities; monitoring equipment; scheduling work; maintaining files; preparing reports.
(The following tasks are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work performed. The omission of specific duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment to the position):
- Supervises, plans, organizes, directs and participates in the installation, operation, maintenance and repair of substations and distribution equipment; writes switching procedures.
- Ensures equipment is functioning properly and at peak performance.
- Directs and participates in the repair and maintenance of transformers and substation equipment.
- Receives and responds to customer inquiries; receives trouble calls; ascertains nature of problem and dispatches crews.
- Monitors charts, gauges and systems to ensure systems are functioning properly.
- Plans and schedules work of division; evaluates work performance of employees and trains new employees.
- Maintains records on activities and prepares required reports.
- Prepares division budgets and monitors expenditures.
- Tests equipment for PCB contamination and faulty performance.
- Takes counter and load readings to ensure load balance is maintained.
- Purchases necessary parts and supplies.
- Oversees contractors including tree trimming.
- Performs related tasks as required.
Thorough knowledge of substation operation, SCADA and maintenance techniques and methods; thorough knowledge of testing, calibrating, transformer/feeder loads and other substation related activities; thorough knowledge of safety requirements and hazards connected with the work; ability to understand and work from construction and wiring plants, blueprints and diagrams; ability to plan and supervise the work of subordinate technical staff; skill in the operation of safety and testing equipment;; ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with associates.
Any combination of education and experience equivalent to graduation from an accredited college or university with a major course work in electrical engineering or related field and extensive experience in substation maintenance, codes, SCADA and construction.
Possession of an appropriate driver’s license valid in the State of North Carolina. Possession of first aid and CPR certifications.
To learn more about this job, or to apply online, click here.