August 1, 2022
October 1, 2022
City of Statesville
Electric Utilities Department
Salary Range: $76,044.80 – $125,465.60
Closing Date: Open Until Filled
GENERAL STATEMENT OF DUTIES: Performs complex professional work in the design and maintenance of an electric distribution system and the development of system programs and procedures; supervises technicians and others ensuring code and policy compliance; consults with other departments on electrical project design; does related work as required.
Work is performed under general supervision. Supervision is exercised over all personnel involved with assigned project.
- Plans, organizes and directs the design of electrical distribution systems, substations, overhead and underground system extensions and modifications
- Develops and implements programs to comply with state and federal regulations
- Reviews and approves plans and meets with developers, contractors and engineers to resolve problems concerning compliance with ordinances, regulations and general construction issues
- Performs complex engineering design and layout of electric utilities for underground and overhead distribution
- Performs and directs testing and preventive maintenance of electrical equipment
- Works with consulting engineering firms regarding City projects including supervising installation of overhead and underground projects, etc.
- Assists in the development of annual work programs for the repair, maintenance and construction of electric distribution facilities
- Develops material specifications and evaluates new materials to be used by department
- Confers with the Director on technical problems, cost estimates and a variety of related issues
- Ensures that all work is performed in accordance with OSHA, NESC and City Safety Standards and Policies
- Establishes criteria for design and construction of Electric Utility projects, evaluates existing or proposed standards and recommends revisions where needed
- Assists with preparation and filing reports required by state and federal agencies
- Performs and directs operation, installation, maintenance and updates of SCADA system
- Prepares technical reports related to assigned responsibility; presents and/or submits reports to applicable staff and/or governmental agencies
- Prepares engineering cost estimates and material lists for construction projects
- Performs technical voltage and power studies to solve problems associated with the distribution system or diagnose as customer problem
- Coordinates projects with work of other City Departments, private and public agencies
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE: Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited college or university with major course work in electrical engineering and considerable experience in design and/or construction of electric distribution system; experience with unit construction for underground and overhead distribution systems; or any equivalent combination of experience and training which provides the required knowledge, skills and abilities.
JOB RELATED PHYSICAL ACTIVITY REQUIREMENTS: This position involves light work requiring the employee to exert up to 20 pounds of force occasionally and less force frequently to move objects. Physical activity related to this position may include climbing, balancing, stooping, kneeling, crouching, reaching, standing, walking, fingering, grasping, feeling, talking, and hearing. Sufficient visual acuity is required to prepare and analyze data and figures, use a computer terminal and do extensive reading. An employee in this position will not be substantially exposed to adverse environmental conditions.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES: Comprehensive knowledge of an Electric Utility organization and operation; thorough knowledge of the materials, methods, practices and equipment used in the construction, operation, maintenance and repair of an electric utility system; thorough knowledge of electrical theory, principles and practices as it applies to an electric distribution system; ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with City officials, employees and the general public; ability to plan, assign and coordinate the work of a large organization; ability to prepare clear and comprehensive studies and reports; ability to communicate ideas effectively, orally and in writing.
SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS: Possession of a valid N.C. license; possession of a license to practice as a registered Professional Engineer in the State of North Carolina or Engineer-in-Training with ability to acquire the P.E. within 24 months; computer skills in the use of a CADD system (AutoCAD 2007), ARC GIS, SCADA system (QEI), Microsoft Office products desirable.
This position is “exempt” and is not eligible for overtime pay.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER