June 21, 2022
New Bern, NC
City of New Bern
Performs intermediate technical and skilled work involving a variety of tasks related to theGeographical Information System (GIS); does related work as required. Work is performedunder regular supervision of division supervisor.
$19.69 – $32.05 Hourly
$1,575.35 – $2,563.92 Biweekly
$40,959.00 – $66,662.00 Annually
Digitizing, editing, reviewing, maintaining, and producing maps in the GIS; maintaining database and maps.
(The following tasks are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work performed. The omission of specific duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment to the position.)
- Creates, edits, reviews, and maintains data in the GIS
- Prepares printed maps as needed with the required elements
- Digitizes and keeps up-to-date subdivision, water, sewer, electric, street, City owned property and other maps and drawings.
- Researches property and ownership records.
- Collects electric, water, and sewer utility asset data in the field using GNSS equipment such as a Trimble unit or similar; edits and maintains this data using Esri software. Updates and maintains departmental GIS database; prepares and executes queries; merges new records; deletes old records.
- Extracts and provides attribute information from GIS data in reports or Microsoft Excel to assist with analysis.
- Acts as City addressing coordinator; assigns new addresses.
- Acquires data from various sources for use by Police Department in proactive law enforcement activities and crime analysis.
- Uses Esri products including but not limited to ArcMap, ArcGIS Pro, Collector App, Survey123, and Field Maps, as well as GNSS equipment, for creating GIS data and related maps.
- Follows quality assurance (QA) and quality control (QC) processes, and performs routine data management tasks, such as data validation and correction, queries and editing in GIS to ensure GIS data accuracy, integrity, and completeness.
- Provides information to public and other City offices, relating to construction and engineering projects, land and property records and maps.
- Assists with special projects when assigned; performs related tasks as required.
General knowledge of Esri software suite; ability to digitize data and update attributes in the GIS geodatabase via Esri software; general knowledge of map making and cartography procedures and techniques; general knowledge of geoprocessing tool practices to obtain information from GIS data; knowledge of the fundamentals of GPS receivers and skill in their use for data collection; proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite; strong computer skills; ability to understand and work from oral and written instructions, field notes, and sketches; ability to communicate effectively in oral and written form; ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with associates and the general public.
Education and Experience
Any combination of education and experience equivalent to graduation from an accredited technical school or community college with major course work in GIS, Geography, Surveying, Engineering, Information Technology, or Computer Sciences.
Possession of an appropriate driver’s license valid in the State of North Carolina.
The City of New Bern is an Equal Opportunity Employer.