October 4, 2023
ElectriCities of NC
The mission of the Government Affairs Specialist is to enhance and promote public power in North Carolina by developing and managing member political engagement and support ElectriCities strategic government advocacy efforts.
The Government Affairs Specialist is responsible for building and deploying an active member political education and engagement program to enhance ElectriCities’ advocacy at the state and federal level. In coordination with the Senior Government Affairs Specialist, the Government Affairs specialist will advocate on behalf of ElectriCities with state and federal legislatures and regulators and maintain positive relationships with elected officials, policymakers, and stakeholders.
- Build, implement, and manage an active member political education and engagement program. Synthesize program metrics for internal and external reporting.
- Draft member educational resources and communications on policy and political matters, including “Capital Connections,” ElectriCities government affairs newsletter.
- Evaluate existing member education and communications tools and update or enhance as necessary to ensure members are well informed about ElectriCities government affairs activities and relevant policy developments.
- Work directly with member communities to help build their capacity for effective political engagement on behalf of public power. Plan and execute regional and local political engagement training and programs.
- Manage Voter Voice, ElectriCities’ grassroots tool to maximize its usefulness in supporting ElectriCities member political engagement and government advocacy efforts.
- Cultivate relationships and maintain a presence with members of the NC General Assembly, staff, Council of State, other state officials/departments, officials of other state associated organizations, and relevant stakeholders, to represent public power interests.
- In coordination with the Senior Government Affairs Specialist, develop and implement member political engagement efforts to support ElectriCities advocacy with state and federal elected officials and regulators on behalf of public power.
- In support of the Senior Government Affairs Specialist, attend General Assembly sessions and committee meetings to monitor and influence the development of legislation affecting our members to promote and protect the policy interests of ElectriCities and its members.
- Become an active member of the NC Professional Lobbyists Association and attend the association’s political events.
- Research background information on bills affecting ElectriCities and its members.
- Assist with the economic development and communication efforts of ElectriCities.
- Participate in annual meetings and workshops.
- Be an active participant on various internal organizational teams.
- Explain difficult or sensitive information and work to build consensus, often within the context of diverse stakeholders and working groups.
- Other duties as assigned.
The Government Affairs Specialist must maintain the physical condition necessary to perform tasks in an office setting such as operating a personal computer, keyboard, and other peripheral equipment. Periodic travel within the state of North Carolina and within the U.S. may also be required for training and development purposes.
The Government Affairs Specialist works under the general supervision and guidance of the Chief Legal and External Affairs Officer, who reviews the employee’s work performance under ElectriCities guidelines in terms of overall effectiveness and provides professional guidance as needed. Time sheets, vacation time, sick leave, etc., will be reviewed and approved by the Chief Legal and External Affairs Officer. This position is exempt from the overtime provisions of the Fair Labor Standards Act.
- A B.A. or B.S. degree, preferably in Public Administration, Political Science or a related field, with 3+ years of state government lobbying experience.
- A thorough working knowledge of grassroots and grass tops political engagement and activation.
- A thorough working knowledge of the legislative processes as well as a general business background.
- The ability to interact with all levels of management, legislators and key state and local officials with respect to decorum.
- Ability to work on multiple projects with frequently changing priorities in a collaborative environment.
- Acute attention to detail and comfort in developing and working with project plans and timelines.
- Ability to work under pressure and deadlines. Demonstrated creativity in problem-solving.
- The ability to think strategically, exercise good judgment and innovate.
- Detailed working knowledge of computer systems and database manipulation.
- The ability to communicate clearly and concisely, both in writing and verbally, on all levels, as well as develop and maintain relationships.
- Demonstrated initiative and ability to work independently with minimal supervision but also in a team environment.
We offer challenging and rewarding careers in a family-friendly culture, a competitive compensation, benefits, and rewards package, as well as career development opportunities. ElectriCities is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
ElectriCities of North Carolina, Inc., is the membership organization that provides power supply and related critical services to over 90 community-owned electric systems in North Carolina, South Carolina, and Virginia—collectively known as public power. ElectriCities manages the power supply for two power agencies in North Carolina and provides technical services to assist members in operating their electric distribution systems. ElectriCities also helps these locally owned and operated public power providers thrive today and in the future by delivering innovative services, including legislative, technical, communications, and economic development expertise.