April 17, 2023
ElectriCities of NC
The purpose of the Human Resources Department is to create, implement, and oversee programs and processes that add value to ElectriCities, our employees, and our membership through our ongoing commitment to attract, motivate, develop, and retain exceptional talent. The Human Resources Department provides a vast array of human resources services including, but not limited to, compliance with applicable legislation and regulations; employee relations; recruiting and workforce planning; salary, benefits, and rewards administration; payroll; performance management; talent development; employee feedback programs; and employee wellness.
The Human Resources Specialist facilitates or assists with various Human Resources and Talent Development processes and procedures in the areas of recruitment, new hires, terminations, payroll, leave administration, talent development, records management, reporting, etc. The Human Resources Specialist also provides general support across the Human Resources and Talent Development team.
ElectriCities of North Carolina, Inc., is the membership organization that provides power supply and related critical services to over 90 community-owned electric systems in North Carolina, South Carolina, and Virginia—collectively known as public power. ElectriCities manages the power supply for two power agencies in North Carolina and provides technical services to assist members in operating their electric distribution systems. ElectriCities also helps these locally owned and operated public power providers thrive today and in the future by delivering innovative services, including legislative, technical, communications, and economic development expertise.
- Coordinate portions of the new hire process consisting of background checks, onboarding paperwork and follow up, orientation scheduling, Everify compliance, completion of new hire checklist and coordination with respective departments.
- Administer HR Programs such as Department of Transportation drug testing, annual motor vehicle record checks and spot bonus awards.
- Assist the HR team with purchase requests (PRs) and invoice payments.
- Maintain employee files to ensure compliance with record retention requirements.
- Prepare and send company announcements such as, but not limited to, new hire announcements, retirements, terminations and separations, and holiday schedules.
- Oversee the maintenance of appraisals and goals documents and administer the introductory appraisal process.
- Prepare various HR reports as requested.
- Assist with HR audits and compliance reporting.
- Provide general support for various employee-led teams such as Wellness Committee, Inclusion & Diversity Committee, and the annual employee Celebration planning committee.
- Assist Senior Human Resources Specialist with employee termination process.
- Assist Senior Human Resources Specialist with Works Compensation and FMLA/disability leave administration.
- Assist Senior Talent Acquisition Specialist with scheduling of interviews, job postings and job description maintenance.
- Assist Senior Payroll Specialist with timesheet administration, reconciliation, and payroll record retention.
- Assist Lead Talent Development Specialist in administration of Learning Management System and the delivery of development program by managing event and program registration, assisting with material development, coordinating logistics and feedback surveys, etc.
- Provide support for administration of various workforce programs.
- Perform other related duties as assigned by the Manager, Human Resources or Vice President, Human Resources.
The Human Resources Specialist works under the direct supervision of the Manager, Human Resources. The Manager, Human Resources reviews the employee’s performance in terms of overall effectiveness and provides professional and administrative direction as needed. The Manager, Human Resources approves all requests for vacation and other time off. This position is exempt from the overtime provisions of the Fair Labor Standards Act.
The Human Resources Specialist must maintain the physical condition necessary to perform tasks in an office setting such as operating a personal computer, keyboards, and other peripheral equipment. Periodic travel is required to other NC office locations and/or for training and development purposes.
- Bachelor’s Degree, preferably in Business, Accounting, or Human Resources or equivalent work experience.
- 1-3 years’ experience in an entry level Human Resources position.
- Basic knowledge of federal and NC regulations such as ADA, FMLA, HIPAA, COBRA, worker’s comp, and FLSA and wage & hour guidelines.
- Experience with HR information systems (HRIS) and intermediate level knowledge of MS Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
- Strong attention to detail and organization skills with the ability to handle and work with a high level of confidential material and information.
- Strong critical thinking and customer service skills and demonstrated ability to anticipate needs and exercise independent judgement.
- Fosters a teamwork mindset and a willingness to step in when needed.
- Flexibility and the ability to juggle multiple tasks in a fast-paced environment.
- Tact and diplomacy to develop the confidence and trust of employees and management.
- Excellent interpersonal and written and oral communication skills.
We offer challenging and rewarding careers in a family-friendly culture, a competitive compensation, benefits, and rewards package, as well as career development opportunities. ElectriCities is an Equal Opportunity Employer.