July 16, 2021
July 16, 2022
Town of Hertford
Salary Range: $47,315.00 to $70,973.00
Performs skilled technical work in the installation, maintenance and repair of underground or overhead electrical distribution lines. Work involves installation of distribution transformers and associated devices, installation of new and old services, removal and installation of meters, operation of line and bucket trucks, fault detection devices and assisting in installation and removal of temporary protective grounds on conductors. Performs switching and tagging operations, perform line work, locates underground cables for other utilities and town departments, sets up and connects pad mounted transformers and check trouble calls and complaints. Works in both energized and de-energized environments. Subject to on-call and stand-by rotation. Is subject to hazards associated with electrical work including working in both inside and outside environments, extreme temperatures, exposure to various hazards such as working at heights, loud noises, vibration, moving mechanical parts, electrical current, chemicals, fumes, odors, dusts, mists, gases, confined spaces, poor ventilation, and oils. Work is performed under general supervision and is evaluated through periodic conferences, observation of results achieved and is reviewed in progress and upon completion for conformance to instructions and accepted standards.
- Provides leadership and participates in the installation and alignment of power lines poles, stringing primary and secondary lines; attaching wire to insulators and cross arms, installing, repairing, replacing cross arms, support, insulators, lighting arresters, and fuse cutouts.
- Provides leadership and participates in the installation, construction, and repair of underground electrical systems by installing primary and secondary cables and transformers by locating trouble spots in the cable span and taking necessary measure to excavate and correct by determining and replacing faulty equipment such as transformers.
- Provide training, mentoring, work quality monitoring and feedback for other electric line staff. Performs a variety of construction, repair and maintenance work in response to work orders. Operates bucket equipment to ascend to high wires, operates line truck, trenchers and other heavy equipment.
- Participates in making energized line taps and connecting wires; handles energized aspects of system independently. Installs transformers, fuse, cutouts, and reactors. Transfers wire from old poles to new poles, installs metering equipment, climb poles when necessary, trim trees, participates in substation maintenance and circuit switching.
- Performs trouble-shooting of power outages and leads in making emergency repairs. Assist the public with information, service and problem-solving. Operates and maintain line truck, service trucks as needed, check and keeps equipment in good operating condition, operates backhoes and other light, medium, and heavy equipment.
- Must be able to physical perform the basic life operational functions of climbing, balancing, stooping, kneeling, crouching, crawling, reaching, standing, walking, pushing, pulling, lifting, fingering, grasping, feeling, talking and hearing.
- Must be able to perform heavy work exerting up to 100 pounds of force occasionally, and/or up to 50 pounds of force frequently, and/or up to 20 pounds of force constantly to lift objects.
- Must possess to visual acuity to operate mobile equipment, monitor work site progress, perform skilled electrical tasks, and inspect and assemble small parts.