December 26, 2019
City of Statesville
GENERAL STATEMENT OF DUTIES: Performs difficult semi-skilled work assisting in the construction, maintenance and operation of electric transmission and distribution lines; does related work as required.
Work is performed under regular supervision.
City of Statesville Electric Utilities Department
Salary Range: $34,154.02 – $56,353.65
Closing Date: Open Until Filled
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Assembles and attaches crossarms and guy wires
- Operates line truck and aerial bucket truck
- Sets poles, trims trees and picks up limbs
- Installs distribution transformers and associated devices
- Replaces old service lines; installs meters
- Installs temporary services for new houses and businesses
- Maintains traffic signals, security lights and street lights
- Performs switching and tagging operations on lines
- Raises and sets poles; hangs transformers and street lights
- Climbs poles and strings secondary and primary wires
- Loads and unloads materials on truck
- Responds to and assists in a variety of electrical emergencies with supervision during and after working hours
- Participates in the Lineman Career Development Program through classroom and field training
- Operates excavator, trencher, and plow backhoe
- Sets up safe work zone and flags traffic
- Prepares material for top linemen
- Troubleshoots overhead and underground electric outages
- Locates and repairs underground wire using specialized equipment
- Performs related tasks as required
JOB RELATED PHYSICAL ACTIVITY REQUIREMENTS: This position involves heavy work requiring the employee to exert more than 100 pounds of force occasionally and less force frequently to move objects. Physical activity related to this position may include climbing, balancing, stooping, kneeling, crouching, crawling, reaching, standing, walking, pushing, pulling, lifting, grasping, talking, hearing and repetitive motions. Sufficient visual acuity is required to perform mechanical or skilled trade tasks of a non-repetitive nature such as technicians or service workers. An employee in this position may be subject to indoor and outdoor environmental conditions including extreme heat and cold, noise, vibration; hazards including proximity to moving mechanical parts and electrical currents; fumes, odors, or gases, and oils; and subject to working in narrow passageways or otherwise confining areas. An employee in this position could be “reasonable anticipated” as a result of performing their job duties to face contact with blood and other potentially infectious materials.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES: General knowledge of electric line construction and maintenance work, equipment and materials; general knowledge of the hazards of the work and of necessary safety precautions; ability to follow oral and written instructions; ability to perform manual tasks quickly, accurately and safely; ability to deal tactfully with the public; skill in the use of the tools of the trade; ability to climb poles; ability to perform manual work under adverse weather conditions; good physical condition.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE: Graduation from high school and some experience in electric line construction and maintenance work; or any equivalent combination of experience and training which provides the required knowledge, skills and abilities.
Employee will have one calendar year of working experience as a Utility Groundsman and completed the Electricities of North Carolina Level 1 lineman career development path or equivalent program.
SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS: Possession of an appropriate valid commercial driver’s license.