September 20, 2022
ElectriCities of NC
The mission of the Manager, Government Affairs is to enhance and promote public power in North Carolina by providing strategic direction to and implementing ElectriCities’ and the Power Agencies’ Government Affairs efforts. This includes:
- managing ElectriCities’ governmental affairs and grassroots efforts;
- analyzing and advocating for ElectriCities’ legislative and regulatory priorities as a registered lobbyist; and,
- promoting the Value of Public Power with the grass tops and grassroots; municipal officials; state and federal legislators; and, members of the state and federal administrations.
- Build relationships, promote the Value of Public Power, and advocate for ElectriCities’ and the Power Agencies’ legislative priorities at the North Carolina General Assembly and in Washington, D.C.
- Build relationships, promote the Value of Public Power, and advocate for ElectriCities’ and the Power Agencies’ policy priorities before the state and federal Administrations, including the offices of the Governor and the administrative offices of the members of the Council of State, the Department of Environmental Quality, and the Local Government Commission.
- Develop and execute proactive cross-cutting advocacy plans for key policy issues.
- Register as a North Carolina lobbyist for ElectriCities.
- Keep ElectriCities’ Senior Staff, Board of Directors, Boards of Commissioners, and membership informed of developments in the state and federal government that could impact ElectriCities, the Power Agencies, and the membership.
- Manage ElectriCities federal and state contract lobbyists, direct legislative strategy, manage issue and bill monitoring, and build and maintain relationships with elected officials and staff to ensure effective representation in Raleigh and Washington.
- Work as needed with internal and member-based subject-matter experts to evaluate and respond effectively to legislative, executive, and regulatory developments and initiatives.
- Build and maintain effective strategic relationships with industry, trade, environmental, consumer and technological advocacy groups.
- Serve as liaison with the ElectriCities’ Board of Directors’ Legislative Steering Committee.
- In coordination with the Communications department, develop and manage a long-term media relations, social media, and communications effort that advances the organization’s government affairs goals.
- Develop and manage a long-term grass-tops and grassroots strategy for ElectriCities, including communications, programs, and events that target audiences at the community, municipal leadership, and legislative levels to prepare and motivate those audiences to advocate for their community-owned utility, power agency, and/or ElectriCities.
- Provide communications support during weather/storm events, including serving on the State Emergency Response Team at the Emergency Operations Center in Raleigh.
- Research, interpret, and disseminate information through a variety of media and public affairs channels to clarify and promote issues, programs, and projects affecting ElectriCities and the Power Agencies.
- Manage development of the “Capital Connections” publication to inform ElectriCities members and supporters of the legislative actions affecting their electrical systems.
- Work with ElectriCities’ staff to execute special events, including developing event communications and promoting and executing events.
- Lead the Senior Public Affairs Specialist(s), including establishing goals and objectives, providing direction and guidance for their daily work, providing coaching and development, and approving time and expenses.
- Develop and manage the annual Government Affairs budget to effectively support ElectriCities’ and the Power Agencies’ government affairs efforts.
- Provide government affairs expertise for a variety of ElectriCities’ sponsored meetings, conferences, workshops, etc.
- Be an active participant on various internal organizational teams.
- Other duties as assigned.
The Manager, Government Affairs reports directly to the Chief Legal and External Affairs Officer who supervises the daily work and provides strategic guidance to the individual holding the position. All time sheets, requests for time off, etc. will be approved by the Chief Legal and External Affairs Officer. This position is exempt from the overtime provisions of the Fair Labor Standards Act.
The Manager, Government Affairs must maintain the physical condition necessary to perform tasks in an office setting such as operating a personal computer, keyboard, and other peripheral equipment. The ability to navigate legislative and congressional buildings to communicate with legislators is required. Regular travel within the state of North Carolina and occasional domestic travel is also required.
The successful candidate will possess the following:
- A four-year college or university degree, preferably with a major in Political Science, Public Policy, Public Relations, Communications, or a related field.
- A minimum of 7 years’ experience in government relations or grassroots work or equivalent experience and demonstrated success in a public affairs/policy role.
- Preferred of 2 years’ management experience.
- Knowledge of the federal and state legislative processes, especially knowledge of North Carolina politics, process, and policy.
- Good relationships within the North Carolina General Assembly.
- Exceptional writing and editing skills, including the ability to write for a variety of audiences and communications media.
- Knowledge of techniques for disseminating information to the public through news and social media avenues.
- Ability to prepare, execute, and track formal advocacy plans and campaigns.
- Ability to coordinate and manage multiple programs simultaneously.
- Strong attention to detail and comfort in developing and/or working with project plans/timelines.
- Flexibility and ability to work effectively under pressure and deadlines.
- Media relations experience, including writing press releases and statements, building media lists, and collecting media mentions.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with representatives of the media, elected officials, special interest groups, and the general public.
- Ability to think both strategically and tactically, exercise good judgment, and innovate.
- Excellent communication skills and strong teamwork and people skills.
- Comfort presenting in public forums before large and/or influential audiences.
- Strong level of initiative and ability to work with minimal supervision.
We offer challenging and rewarding careers in a family-friendly culture, a competitive compensation, benefits, and rewards package, as well as career development opportunities. ElectriCities is an Equal Opportunity Employer.