May 11, 2022
ElectriCities of NC
ElectriCities is HIRING!
We are looking for Power Lineworkers to join a model public power utility operation. Both the Journeyman and Apprentice levels are welcome to apply. You will be involved with and/or perform a variety of tasks such as overhead and underground primary and secondary work, system repairs, capital projects, new installations, relocations, conversions of Overhead to Underground, customer service connections, support of regional operations of neighboring towns and cities, and much more. Participation in the on-call rotation and outage response time is required. This position will be located in the Huntersville/Cornelius, NC area.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
- Performs skilled work at the journeyman level in the construction and maintenance of high voltage electrical power transmission and distribution lines and equipment.
- Performs a variety of duties requiring a high degree of skill at the journeyman level in the construction and maintenance of electric power distribution lines and auxiliary equipment.
- Participates in the installation, digging post holes, in the building of platform structures above the ground level between poles to hold large transformers, replacement of defective poles by transferring wire to new poles alongside the condemned poles and alignment of power line poles, using hand tools, power winch or block, tackle and rigging.
- Responsible for installing, repairing and replacing cross arms, leg supports, guy cables, insulators and lightning arresters, using hand tools particular to the trade.
- Performs installation of transformers, fuse cutouts, capacitors, meters, metering equipment and house services.
- Strings primary and secondary lines and attaches wire to insulators and cross arms allowing for proper sag.
- Participates in maintenance of substation, streetlights, and traffic signals, care of materials, tools, and equipment.
- Leads and directs investigation of complaints regarding complex power problems and makes necessary repairs or adjustments.
- Participates in the making of voltage and amperage tests and in the adjustment and replacement of transformers to regulate power to points of use.
- Performs substation work as required and make substation and switching station repairs when needed.
- Performs a variety of tasks required of a public power line worker.
- Supervises and participates in loading and unloading line truck and drives line truck hauling supplies and equipment.
- Instructs and trains new employees in the proper performance of duties.
- Installs group operated switches and single and three-phase re-closers.
- Performs other related duties as assigned by the Electric Systems Manager and/or Line & Service Supervisor in accordance with the goals and objectives of ElectriCities.
- Adheres to OSHA rules/regulations, APPA Safety Manual and Electricities Standard Operating Procedures.
This position works under the general supervision and guidance of the Electric Operations Supervisor who reviews the employee’s work performance periodically in terms of overall effectiveness and provides professional guidance as necessary. Time sheets, vacation time, sick leave, etc., will be reviewed and approved by the Electric Operations Supervisor. This position is non-exempt from the overtime provisions of the Fair Labor Standards Act.
Work involves light to heavy physical activity in varied weather conditions as well as a high degree of risk to personal safety with respect to power line work, high voltage areas and elevated work areas. Safe use of proper tools, uniforms, and other personal protective equipment (PPE) is required at all times. Participation in the on-call rotation is a requirement. Required to reside in a location that meets minimum response time requirements to outages and emergencies. Occasional support of neighboring municipal electric providers, mutual aid, or emergency assistance may be available/required.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; and talk and hear. Frequently the employee is required to sit; climb or balance on electric poles; stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl. The employee must occasionally be able to lift and/or move up to 100 pounds. Vision requirements are close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
The successful candidate will possess the following:
- A diploma from a standard high school or vocational school, supplemented with technical courses related to electricity and basic electrical theory.
- A minimum of four years verifiable experience as a Journey Lineworker; or an equivalent combination of training and experience.
- Successful completion or partial completion of the Lineman Career Development Program, and/or an apprentice program, having successfully passed required testing.
- Additional consideration will be given to Journeyman level individuals.
- Possession of a valid North Carolina commercial driver’s license (CDL) – Class A.
- Ability to pass pre-employment drug and/or alcohol screening,
- Ability to pass random testing due to the CDL license requirement.
- Ability to pass any and all drug and/or alcohol screenings. Failure to do so will result in disciplinary action up to and including termination of employment.
Apply now and join our expanding operation! ElectriCities is an equal opportunity employer.