November 3, 2021
November 3, 2022
Wake Forest, N.C.
Town of Wake Forest
The Town of Wake Forest is seeking a knowledgeable individual to perform technical powerline work. Duties include but are not limited to: construction, maintenance and repair of electrical power distribution systems. Position requires considerable knowledge of the hazards and safety precautions necessary in power line work. The ideal candidate will have the ability to climb poles, work on high voltage lines under supervision and take precautionary measures to avoid accidents.
Class A CDL is required. Hours of work: 7:00am- 3:30pm with occasional on-call hours.
- Installs and maintains overhead and underground power lines.
- Replaces utility poles, cross arms, transformers, circuit breakers, lightning arrestors and cutouts.
- Operates utility truck; operates other equipment such as backhoe, excavator, tractor, skid steer, boring machine and other related equipment.
- Keeps trucks and equipment clean and stocked.
- Sets up, operates and takes down boring unit and locator unit.
- Participates in making line taps and connecting wires.
- Transfers wire from condemned defective poles to new poles and installs metering equipment.
- Investigates complaints regarding power failures and makes the necessary repairs; participates in making emergency repairs during disruptions of service.
- Participates in tree trimming, chipping, and clean up as needed.
- Performs related duties as required.
- Must be able to physically perform the basic life operational functions of climbing, balancing, stooping, kneeling, crouching, crawling, reaching, standing, walking, pushing, pulling, lifting, feeling, talking, hearing, and repetitive motions.
- Must be able to perform very heavy work exerting up to 100 pounds of force occasionally; in excess of 50 pounds of force frequently; and in excess of 20 pounds constantly.
- Must possess the visual acuity to operate a variety of vehicles and equipment and inspect and assemble small parts.
Minimum and Preferred Education and Experience
- Any combination of education and experience equivalent to graduation from high school with experience appropriate for this level of work in electrical distribution.
- Possession of a valid class “A” North Carolina commercial driver’s license.
- Possession of the appropriate level Power Line Technician Certification.
- Certification in pole top and bucket rescue.
- CPR and First Aid certification preferred.
If you are offered a conditional offer of employment, you will need to successfully meet all of the following conditions to be hired:
• Completion of the substance abuse testing required by the Town. Be advised that you have 48 hours after accepting our conditional offer to report for the drug screen.
• Completion of a Background Screening.
• COVID-19 vaccination by the first day of work (we will accommodate those who cannot receive the vaccine for disability or religious based reasons). You must have at least one dose before your first day of work. If you are subject to getting a second dose it must be received in accordance with manufacturer recommendations. Vaccination cards are to only be shared with Human Resources staff.