August 3, 2021
New Bern, N.C.
City of New Bern
Performs difficult skilled work supervising and participating in the work of employees responsiblefor monitoring the operation of the City’s utility systems, AMI, OMS, Fiber Optics; does relatedwork as required. Work is performed under the regular supervision of the Director of ElectricUtility. Supervision is exercised over all division personnel.
Overseeing operation of utility system; AMI; OMS; monitoring equipment; Fiber Optic Installation; scheduling work; responding to inquiries; maintaining records and preparing reports.
(The following tasks are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work performed. The omission of specific duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment to the position.)
- Supervises and participates in the work of employees responsible for monitoring the operation of the City’s electric operation; supervises and participates in load management operations.
- Supervises the Fiber Optic Technician.
- Manages the Advance Metering Infrastructure System.
- Manages the Outage Management System.
- Ensures division, department and City policies, procedures and regulations are followed.
- Maintains records and prepares reports on division activities.
- Performs duties of Utility Control System Operator when required.
- Plans and schedules work of division.
- Prepares division budget and monitors expenditures.
- Assists in the selection of employees; recommends selection, discipline and discharge;evaluates work performance of employees.
- Performs a variety of duties for all City departments after normal working hours; receives calls, complaints, etc., determines problem and notifies department representative.
- Receives trouble calls, ascertains nature of problem and dispatches crews.
- Monitors charts, gauges and systems to ensure systems are functioning properly for Electric SCADA, W&S SCADA, AMI, and OMS.
- Performs related tasks as required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
Thorough knowledge of utility system control procedures and related equipment, AMI, OMS, Fiber Optics, gauges and computer operated systems; thorough knowledge of the activities and responsibilities of all City departments; ability to analyze problems and identify reasonable solutions; ability to operate a variety of controls manually; ability to plan and supervise the work of subordinate employees; ability to deal tactfully with the general public under stressful conditions; ability to speak distinctly over a two-way radio; ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with associates and the general public.
Education and Experience:
Any combination of education and experience equivalent to graduation from an accredited community college with major course work in business management or related field and extensive experience in utility system control.
CRIMINAL BACKGROUND CHECKS ARE REQUIRED ON FINAL INTERNAL AND EXTERNAL CANDIDATE(S) APPLYING FOR THIS POSITION WITH THE CITY OF NEW BERN.
The City of New Bern is an Equal Opportunity Employer.