November 14, 2018
Become part of the energy behind public power! ElectriCities has spent the past 50 years working closely with public power communities across North Carolina, South Carolina and Virginia to improve their utility and government operations. We have an in-depth understanding of the utility business and the unique challenges each of these communities face. ElectriCities’ strength is bringing public power communities together to share knowledge in an effort to make their power safer and more reliable.
We are looking for a dynamic individual to join our Corporate Communications team. The Senior Government Affairs Liaison is responsible for developing and maintaining positive relationships with the North Carolina General Assembly and the Governor’s Administration in order to further the goals and objectives of the North Carolina Municipal Power Agencies and ElectriCities. The Senior Government Affairs Liaison is responsible for obtaining beneficial outcomes on legislative issues and key topics of concern to ElectriCities’ members. The Senior Government Affairs Liaison is also responsible for implementing strategic grassroots efforts in coordination with the legislative goals. This position will be located in Raleigh, NC and periodic travel may be required.
The Senior Government Affairs Liaison’s duties will include but are not limited to:
- Cultivate relationships and maintain a presence with members of the NC General Assembly, staff, council of state, and other state officials/departments, officials of other state associated organizations in order to represent organizational interests.
- Develop and recommend legislative positions, policies, procedures, and plans for action on the state level for ElectriCities and the Power Agencies.
- During legislative sessions, write the “Capitol Connections” publication to inform ElectriCities members and our supporters of the legislative actions affecting their electrical systems.
- Develop strategies and implement action plans to achieve desired results such as halting negative legislation and encouraging passage of favorable legislation.
- Attend General Assembly sessions and committee meetings to monitor and influence the development of legislation affecting our members in order to promote and protect the legislative interest of ElectriCities and its members. Speak, debate, and lobby persuasively on both a planned and unplanned basis to promote and protect the legislative interests of ElectriCities and its members.
Research background information on bills affecting ElectriCities and its members.
Qualified candidates should possess:
- A Bachelor of Arts or Bachelor of Science degree, preferably in Public Administration, Political Science or a related field.
- A minimum of 3 to 7 years of state government lobbying experience.
- A thorough working knowledge of the legislative processes as well as a general business background.
- The ability to interact with all levels of management, legislators and key state and local officials with respect to decorum.
- The ability to think strategically, exercise good judgment and innovate.
- Detailed working knowledge of computer systems and database manipulation.
- The ability to communicate clearly and concisely, both in writing and verbally, on all levels, as well as develop and maintain relationships.
We offer challenging and rewarding careers in a family-friendly culture, a competitive compensation, benefits, and rewards package, as well as career development opportunities. ElectriCities is an Equal Opportunity Employer.