July 31, 2019
ElectriCities of NC
Become part of the energy behind public power! ElectriCities has spent the past 50 years working closely with public power communities across North Carolina, South Carolina and Virginia to improve their utility and government operations. We have an in-depth understanding of the utility business and the unique challenges each of these communities face. ElectriCities’ strength is bringing public power communities together to share knowledge in an effort to make their power safer and more reliable.
We are looking for a dynamic individual to be part of our Corporate Communications team. The Senior Public Affairs Specialist is responsible for ensuring active, consistent and meaningful communications on a day-to-day basis, through online and print channels, to increase awareness of and generate support for public power and public power communities. This position will be located in Raleigh, NC.
Primary responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Website content development and maintenance.
- Support management of ElectriCities’ social medial, including Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn and YouTube accounts.
- Effectively conduct proactive and responsive media relations work (including interviews by phone, email, and live on-camera; press conferences; and media cultivation) when necessary.
- Provide communications support during weather/storm events.
- Develop and evaluate public information campaigns.
- Support ElectriCities’ basic media relations, including writing press releases and statements maintaining media lists, and collective media mentions.
- Research, interpret and disseminate information through a variety of media and public affairs channels to clarify and promote issues, programs and projects affecting ElectriCities and the Power Agencies.
Qualified candidates will possess the following:
- A four-year college or university degree, preferably with a major in Communications, Public Relations, Journalism or a related field.
- A minimum of five to seven years of experience in communications, public relations or publicity work.
- Exceptional writing and editing skills for a variety of audiences and communications mediums.
- Knowledge of techniques for disseminating information to the public through news and social media avenues.
- Ability to prepare formal communications plans and campaigns.
- Ability to coordinate and manage multiple programs simultaneously.
- Experience working with a website content management system (experience using WordPress a plus).
- Knowledge of and interest in public affairs and the political process.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with representatives of the media, elected officials, special interest groups and the general public.
- Experience using social media, including Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn and YouTube.
We offer challenging and rewarding careers in a family-friendly culture, a competitive compensation, benefits, and rewards package, as well as career development opportunities. ElectriCities is an Equal Opportunity Employer.