January 4, 2024
ElectriCities of NC
The Strategy and Services Division is responsible for leading long-term corporate planning efforts for the company and providing value-added services to ElectriCities Members. The Division is responsible for assessing members’ ability to provide competitive retail offerings and identifying strategic areas of need for the members within these offerings while monitoring the effectiveness of our members’ retail offerings through a variety of surveys and data collection. The Division develops and deploys programs to augment the efforts of the members where there are gaps, and advocates for action among the members through strategic messaging that is conveyed through conferences, training, regional meetings, and other outreach.
The Senior Utility Systems Analyst works closely with ElectriCities’ Members, the operations team, finance, and vendors to assist in the optimization of Members’ utility systems and processes. The Senior Utility Systems Analyst must be able to analyze complex data sets, determine irregularities, make recommendations based on these data sets, and identify overall business process improvements.
- Administer and manage the Retail Billing Assessment program. This includes collaborating directly with Members to promote the program, obtaining necessary data from Members, communicating with key stakeholders throughout the projects, and presenting results. Utilize industry knowledge, statistics, and data analytics tools to analyze and evaluate large and complex data sets and make key recommendations to help Members improve billing accuracy and efficiency. When recommendations include using other ElectriCities services, coordinate cross-functionally to ensure successful service transition.
- Utilize knowledge of utility business processes to help identify and prioritize process improvement opportunities. Combine these recommendations with the results of the Retail Billing Assessment to help improve back-office operations for Member utilities.
- Assess the value and monitor the impacts of the Retail Billing Assessment program. Determine overall scope and structure of the program, optimize deliverables, and provide tools to deliver key recommendations to Members. Maintain internal information on results and savings to Members to help track effectiveness of the program. Administer internal meetings to provide project updates to key stakeholders. Maintain overall project database to track progress towards deliverables.
- Identify and prioritize Member projects to determine which Members need assistance with a Retail Billing Assessment and back-office process improvement.
- Continuously seek out innovative ways to streamline or reengineer the Retail Billing Assessment program to deliver more value to more members each year.
- Utilize electric system loss data to help Members reduce their system losses and improve reporting accuracy. If system losses are physical losses and not primarily caused by billing or reporting inaccuracies, work with other ElectriCities departments to assist Members in reducing these losses.
- Maintain a list of high priority recommendations from ongoing projects and follow up with Members to ensure recommendations are being implemented.
- As the Division’s retail utility billing system subject matter expert, advise Members as they evaluate new billing technologies to ensure they select the optimal solution for their unique requirements and constraints, in alignment with the Strategic Technology Roadmap, and consult with them as needed to implement those technologies successfully.
- Assist in advocating on behalf of ElectriCities Members for product enhancements, service improvements, programming bug fixes, product roadmap, etc. for ElectriCities partner vendors. Help organize annual user groups as needed.
- Utilize the Association Management System (AMS) to optimize member engagement and as the primary system of record. Add relevant projects completed to the Service Delivery tracker and ensure the technology list on the ECNC form is accurate for retail billing technologies. Support current use cases and recommend new features to advance our Public Power Strategic Priorities.
- Support other internal and member facing business intelligence, data analytics, and data visualization initiatives.
- Assist in identifying other utility systems to support for Members. If a new solution is identified, work with the Program Development team as a subject matter expert to develop and deploy the new program.
- Coordinate with ElectriCities’ Rates department to ensure alignment in recommendations to Members. Promote services provided by the Rates department and assist in promoting consistent rate-making strategies.
- Perform other related duties as assigned by the Manager, Grid Innovation, in accordance with the goals and objectives of ElectriCities.
The Senior Utility Systems Analyst must maintain the physical condition necessary to perform tasks in an office setting such as operating a personal computer, keyboard, and other peripheral equipment. Frequent travel within the state of North Carolina and periodic travel within the U.S. for training and development purposes is required.
The Senior Utility Systems Analyst works under the general supervision and guidance of the Manager, Grid Innovation, who reviews the employee’s work performance under ElectriCities’ guidelines in terms of overall effectiveness and provides professional guidance as needed. The Manager, Grid Innovation, also approves requests for vacations and other time off. This position is exempt from the overtime provisions of the Fair Labor Standards Act.
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering, Business Administration, Finance, Data Analysis, or a related field from a four-year university or college.
- At least five years of experience in data analysis and process improvement in a technology or utility industry. Ten years of utility experience and/or three or more years of utility billing experience are preferred.
- At least five years of program or project management experience is preferred.
- Excellent analytical skills as well as verbal and written communication skills.
- Exceptional interpersonal and client relationship management skills.
- A continuous improvement mindset with a commitment to best practices.
- The ability to oversee multiple simultaneous projects and work with a high energy level and excel in a collaborative environment. Demonstrated experience successfully leading service-oriented teams is preferred.
- Willingness to accept responsibility and be capable of working on his/her own initiative with minimal supervision.
- We offer challenging and rewarding careers in a family-friendly culture, a competitive compensation, benefits, and rewards package, as well as career development opportunities.
ElectriCities is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
ElectriCities of North Carolina, Inc., is the membership organization that provides power supply and related critical services to over 90 community-owned electric systems in North Carolina, South Carolina, and Virginia—collectively known as public power. ElectriCities manages the power supply for two power agencies in North Carolina and provides technical services to assist members in operating their electric distribution systems. ElectriCities also helps these locally owned and operated public power providers thrive today and in the future by delivering innovative services, including legislative, technical, communications, and economic development expertise.