July 7, 2020
Town of Selma
Performs advanced professional work planning, designing, constructing and administering capital improvement projects; reviewing and approving projects; developing five-year Capital Improvement Program. Provides technical engineering and administrative support for infrastructure and public improvement projects and systems. These types of systems include but are not limited to roads, buildings, parks, water systems and sewer systems. This is accomplished by identifying needs, developing and reviewing plans and specifications, designing solutions, coordinating with departments, reviewing proposals and plan documents, coordinating inspections, and responding to inquiries. Other duties include attending meetings on projects with internal and external customers Work is performed under the direct supervision of the Public Works Director.
Essential Duties and Tasks:
- Performs professional civil engineering work by reviewing construction plans for any activity in the Town’s jurisdiction, both public and private.
- Reviews multiple types of municipal engineering projects and systems. These types of systems include but are not limited to roads, buildings, parks, water systems and sewer systems.
- Oversees data analysis by obtaining electronic data; reviewing raw data for accuracy; analyzing data for trends; and develop written reports
- Reviews and revises standard professional services and construction contracts
- Maintains multiple types of municipal engineering projects and systems
- Meets and coordinates with agencies
- Assists with development of ordinances, standards and codes
- Enforces all local, state, and federal requirements
- Attends meetings on all types of engineering systems and interacts with internal and external customers to provide assistance as needed.
- Provides comprehensive engineering support in all areas of civil engineering, architect, and construction management of Town capital improvement projects, including cost estimates, and related items in the development of the department budget for the Capital Improvement Program.
- Reviews and recommends revisions to complex construction plans for compliance with standards, codes and ordinances, and adherence to acceptable engineering principles and practices.
- Develops and implements regulations and standards to ensure all projects meet state and federal regulations.
- Manage design and inspection activities on a number of complex projects.
- Provides technical response to inquiries concerning specific projects as well as incorporate staff/citizen input.
- Coordinates the work of consulting engineers, Town departments, and governmental agencies affected by or assigned to the designated project; prepares budgets, records and reports related to assigned projects.
- This job is considered essential personnel and will be required to work during and following natural disasters and emergency situations.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Additional Job Duties:
- Performs related duties as required.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Knowledge of the practical application of engineering science and technology
- Design techniques, tools and principles including the use of engineering plans
- Materials, methods and the tools involved in construction and repair of infrastructure
- Applicable state and federal laws
- Mathematics and their applications
- Relevant equipment use, policy, design and procedure to promote a safe and secure work environment
- Must be able to perform the basic life operational functions of stooping, kneeling, crouching, crawling, reaching, standing, walking, pushing, pulling, lifting, fingering, grasping, feeling, talking, hearing, and repetitive motions.
- Must be able to perform medium work exerting up to 50 pounds of force occasionally, and/or up to 20 pounds of force frequently, and/or up to 10 pounds of force constantly to move objects.
- Must possess the visual acuity to operate equipment.
Desirable Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering or related field of study
- Preference Construction Management experience
- Experience in construction and maintenance operations
- 2 or more years of complex engineering-related experience
- Experience in developing RFQs and RFPs
- Valid North Carolina Class “C” driver’s license
- Working knowledge of Access databases, ArcGIS, and Excel spreadsheets
For this position, please send a letter of intent along with a resume and completed Town of Selma application, and three (3) references. Salary based on education and experience. Position is open until filled.
The Town of Selma’s Application for Employment may be downloaded from the link: Download the Application
The selected applicant will be required to complete a background investigation, pass a pre-employment physical and a drug-screening test. Applicants may submit a resume; however, resumes are not accepted in lieu of a completed employment application. It is preferred that all completed and signed Employment Applications be submitted via email to email@example.com. Other acceptable methods of receipt are via hand delivery or U.S.
Mail to the attention of Jennifer Eakes, Human Resources Director Town of Selma, 114 N. Raiford St., Selma, NC, 27576. Should you have any questions, please contact Jennifer Eakes either by email or phone (919) 965-9841, Ext 1005. The Town of Selma is an EEO/M-F/AA/ADA/Drug-Free Employer.
As required by law, the Town of Selma participates with E-Verify to determine legal employment eligibility status.