May 9, 2023
ElectriCities of NC
The Vice President, Distribution Operations is responsible for coordinating with ElectriCities members on the operation and maintenance of their electric distribution systems. Responsibilities include studying the integration of distributed energy resources on power agency member distribution systems, the planning, managing and overseeing of regional operations for ElectriCities Western Operations (the Town of Cornelius, the Town of Huntersville, and the Town of Pineville electric systems), Lexington Operations and other future operations in an economical, efficient, safe, and reliable manner.
ElectriCities of North Carolina, Inc., is the membership organization that provides power supply and related critical services to over 90 community-owned electric systems in North Carolina, South Carolina, and Virginia—collectively known as public power. ElectriCities manages the power supply for two power agencies in North Carolina and provides technical services to assist members in operating their electric distribution systems. ElectriCities also helps these locally owned and operated public power providers thrive today and in the future by delivering innovative services, including legislative, technical, communications, and economic development expertise.
- Coordinates with the Vice President, Operations to study the integration of distributed energy resources and their effects on the power supply of the two Power Agencies.
- Oversees the ElectriCities Standard Operations Procedures (SOP) for ElectriCities distribution operations to ensure safe and reliable operations.
- Studies regionalization requests from members. This includes reviewing the economics and efficiencies that could be gained from combined operations.
- Actively participates in the ElectriCities Operations Standards Team and efforts to standardize distribution equipment, materials and construction guidelines.
- Ensures that all obligations of ElectriCities under the Operating Agreement with Huntersville and Cornelius, and the Operating Agreements with Pineville and Lexington are met.
- Oversight of ElectriCities Distribution Operations and the Electric Systems Managers and their staff ensuring staff development and adherence to policies, procedures, and controls. All other responsibilities necessary for the reliable, safe, and efficient operation of Huntersville, Cornelius, Lexington, and Pineville electric distribution systems.
- Promotes a positive culture of open communication, teamwork, accountability, and trust within the team and across the organization.
- Understands the local political environment and effectively communicates with Lexington, Huntersville, Cornelius, Pineville Town Boards, Town Managers and Staff, and public on all public power issues: operational, financial, electric rates, distribution system long-range planning, economic development, and territorial matters.
- Foster an environment of teamwork with other ElectriCities divisions in order to effectively coordinate the development and implementation of programs and services for the ElectriCities members.
- Ensures adherence to all federal, state, and local laws, regulations and reporting requirements, including compliance with North Carolina governmental accounting practices, procurement law, electric system reliability standards and debt issuance compliance.
- Provides technical, administrative, and supervisory guidance for the day-to-day operations of the Lexington Operations Center, the Huntersville/Cornelius Operations Center and Pineville Line & Service Operation, including personnel matters (e.g., hiring and terminations, timesheet approvals, expense reports, etc.).
- Performs other related duties as assigned by the Chief Operating Officer (COO), ElectriCities, in accordance with the goals and objectives of ElectriCities, and the City of Lexington, and the Towns of Huntersville, Cornelius and Pineville.
The Vice President, Distribution Operations must maintain the physical condition necessary to perform tasks in an office setting such as operating a personal computer, keyboard, and other peripheral equipment. Frequent travel within the state of North Carolina and periodic travel within the U.S. is required.
The Vice President, Distribution Operations works under the general guidance of the Chief Operating Officer who reviews the employee’s work performance under ElectriCities guidelines in terms of overall effectiveness and who provides professional guidance as needed. The Chief Operating Officer also approves requests for vacations and other time off. This position is exempt from the overtime provisions of the Fair Labor Standards Act.
- A Bachelor of Science degree in Engineering, preferably Electrical, or a related field is preferred.
- A minimum of ten years of progressively responsible work experience, preferably in a municipal electrical utility environment, which includes extensive experience in electric utility management. An equivalent combination of education and experience is also acceptable.
- A designation as a licensed Professional Engineer is preferred.
- Demonstrated ability to set the example and culture of high ethical standards; leadership stature; strategic and tactical planning; a talent for managing change; problem solving and decision-making skills; tenacity; and an ability to motivate.
- Demonstrated ability to maintain a positive community image and effectively communicate and interact with staff, elected officials, customers, competitors, and the public.
- Demonstrated ability to promote the value of Public Power and build and maintain positive, professional, and productive relationships with key stakeholders.
We offer challenging and rewarding careers in a family-friendly culture, a competitive compensation, benefits, and rewards package, as well as career development opportunities. ElectriCities is an Equal Opportunity Employer.