Contact Brenda Daniels, Manager,
Economic Development at: 919.760.6363
The Smart Sites™, or S2, program was created by ElectriCities to assist member communities in preparing shovel-ready sites for economic development.
In today’s competitive environment, it’s rare for a company to locate on an undeveloped, unimproved property. The majority of new and expanding companies expect existing buildings or a prepared, shovel-ready site to shorten the amount of time needed for construction. Yet communities often struggle to garner the funds needed to develop inventory for economic development purposes.
That’s why we created Smart Sites to offer more shovel-ready property for economic development growth in NC Public Power communities. The valuable due diligence included in S2 assists site selectors in making informed, intelligent choices. In short, S2 simplifies the process for consultants and companies and minimizes risk to them.
What does S2 offer my community?
S2 provides up to $25,000 to supplement the site qualification process. Funding under Smart Sites is very competitive, with only five projects awarded funding annually. Potential sites must meet specific requirements and undergo an extensive review process by site selection experts. Smart Sites are then marketed domestically and internationally by ElectriCities at numerous trade shows and industry events.
Six Steps to Qualify for S2
1. Site Submission
- Minimum 25 acres
- Municipal electric service
- Water/sewer within 500 feet
2. Site Selection
- Economic Development team reviews submitted sites
- Following review, team selects sites to proceed to qualification
3. Site Qualification
- Detailed RFI with copy of deed, tax map, archeological reports, phase 1 and other due diligence
- Municipal letter of support
4. Site Qualification Review
- Economic Development team conducts review along with engineering and consulting firms
5. Annual Updates
- Site and RFI information to be updated annually
- Conducted every three years