August 24, 2019
September 24, 2019
Rocky Mount, N.C.
City of Rocky Mount
DEFINITION: This position is responsible for participating in the construction, operation and maintenance of the electric distribution system while energized at secondary voltages.
REPORTS TO: The Supervisor assigns work in terms of general instructions.
HOURS: 7:00 a.m. – 3:30 p.m., Monday – Friday 40 hours per week and standby duties.
$19.38 – $29.07 Hourly
$40,310.40 – $60,465.60 Annually
APPLICATIONS MAY BE FILED ONLINE AT:
331 S. Franklin Street
Rocky Mount, NC 27802
- Participates in the installation, repair, operation and maintenance of the overhead electric distribution system while energized at secondary voltages.
- Prepares associated hardware and materials.
- Participates in the installation, repair, operation and maintenance of the underground electric distribution system while energized at secondary voltages.
- Operates various types of motorized equipment used in the construction, operation and maintenance of the electric distribution system.
- Cleans and restocks trucks with appropriate materials, equipment, and tools.
- Assists in establishing and maintaining a safe work zone.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- Knowledge and level of competency commonly associated with completion of specialized training in the field of work, in addition to a high school diploma or equivalent.
- Sufficient experience to understand the basic principles relevant to the major duties of the position usually associated with the completion of an apprenticeship/internship or having had a similar position for one to two years.
- Possession of a valid North Carolina Class “A” Drivers License or ability to readily obtain within 6 months.
- This position requires residency within acceptable reception and transmission range of the City’s 800 MHz radio system (approximately 20 miles).
- Required to satisfactorily develop job knowledge and skills to be promoted to 1st Class Lineman within five years of date of hire. Failure to satisfy this requirement will result in discharge from employment.
NOTE: The “hiring range” for this position will be the minimum rate with no more than 10% above minimum rate (Dependent Upon Qualifications.)
- Knowledge of electric line construction and maintenance practices.
- Knowledge of proper safety procedures, rules and regulations including NESC, OSHA, APPA and City policies.
- Knowledge of hand tools, test equipment, and small power tools.
- Knowledge of occupational hazards associated with the work.
- Knowledge of relevant federal, state, and local laws and ordinances.
- Skill in operating various types of motorized equipment used in the construction, operation and maintenance of the electric distribution system.
- Skill in climbing utility poles in a proficient manner.
- Skill in establishing cooperative and productive working relationships.
- Skill in interpersonal relations.
- Skill in oral and written communication.