December 26, 2019
City of Statesville
GENERAL STATEMENT OF DUTIES: Performs difficult skilled work in the construction and maintenance of electric transmission and distribution lines; doe related work as required.
Work is performed under regular supervision.
City of Statesville Electric Utilities Department
Salary Range: $37,654.45 – $62,130.02
Closing Date: Open Until Filled
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Installs new and old services; removes old meters and installs new meters
- Installs distribution transformers with associated devices
- Operates line and bucket truck
- Installs and removes conductors, messengers and cables, splicing, tapping and taping conductors
- Assists in installing and removing temporary protective grounds on conductors
- Performs switching and tagging operations on the line
- Uses hot sticks, when trained and qualified in their use, to perform line work of a simpler nature
- Patrols distribution lines
- Locates underground cables for other utilities and City departments
- Installs and connects service cable to new and upgraded electrical services
- Operates trencher and backhoe for installation of underground cables and conduit
- Replaces old service wires
- Sets up and connects pad mounted transformers
- Checks trouble calls and complaints; rebuilds lines
- Trims trees in and around primary and secondary wires
- Participates in the Lineman Career Development Program through classroom and field training
- Responds to and handles a variety of electrical emergencies with supervision during and after working hours
- Uses specialized equipment to find underground faults
- Fills our trouble reports, work orders and other paperwork
- Has basic knowledge of “hot work” which includes changing poles, installing new equipment, switch and capacitor maintenance, installation to dip poles
- Has knowledge of various service voltages and transformer banks
- Able to read work orders and construction blue prints
- Performs related tasks as required
JOB RELATED PHYSICAL ACTIVITY REQUIREMENTS: This position involves heavy work requiring the employee to exert more than 100 pounds of force occasionally and less force frequently to move objects. Physical activity related to this position may include climbing, balancing, stooping, kneeling, crouching, crawling, reaching, standing, walking, pushing, pulling, lifting, grasping, talking, hearing and repetitive motions. Sufficient visual acuity is required to perform mechanical or skilled trade tasks of a non-repetitive nature such as technicians or service workers. An employee in this position may be subject to indoor and outdoor environmental conditions including extreme heat and cold, noise, vibration; hazards including proximity to moving mechanical parts and electrical currents; fumes, odors, or gases, and oils, and subject to working in narrow passageways or otherwise confining areas. An employee in this position could be “reasonable anticipated” as a result of performing their job duties to face contact with blood and other potentially infectious materials.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES: Thorough knowledge of electric line construction and maintenance work, equipment and materials; thorough knowledge of the hazards of the work and of necessary safety precautions; ability to follow oral and written instructions; ability to perform manual tasks quickly, accurately and safely; ability to deal tactfully with the public; skill in the use of the tools of the trade; ability to climb poles; ability to perform manual work under adverse weather conditions; good physical condition.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE: Graduation from high school and considerable experience in electric line construction and maintenance work; or any equivalent combination of experience and training which provides the required knowledge, skills and abilities.
SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS: Possession of an appropriate valid commercial driver’s license; must meet and maintain minimum training and experience qualifications for the position as established by the department.