October 26, 2018
New Bern, N.C.
City of New Bern
Performs intermediate management, professional and administrative work in the development, design and operation of electrical engineering projects; does related work as required. Work is performed under the general supervision of the Director of Utilities. Extensive management and supervision is exercised over the Staff Engineer, Electrical Engineer Technician and GIS Technician.
- Develops long range plans of department; estimates project cost; prepares lists of construction materials for purchasing and gives advice on construction projects.
- Manages and Supervises the Staff Engineer, Electrical Engineer Technician and GIS Technician.
- Mentors and facilitates the succession planning within the division.
- Develops training program for the department.
- Makes surveys and studies based on economic engineering practices in order to prepare plans for proposed construction projects.
- Coordinates with other utility and City engineering personnel to avoid conflicts of utilities construction projects with other services.
- Drafts specifications for equipment and materials used in construction, maintenance and operation of electrical system.
- Makes on-site inspections of work to ensure compliance with plans.
- Performs related tasks as required.
Thorough knowledge of the principles and practices of electrical engineering; thorough knowledge of the principles and practices of electric distribution systems; ability to prepare, review and interpret engineering plans and specifications; ability to conduct research projects; skill in the use of various electrical engineering instruments; ability to calculate stresses and deflections in structures; ability to prepare technical reports; ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with associates.
Any combination of education and experience equivalent to graduation from an accredited college or university with major course work in electrical engineering or related field and considerable experience in electrical engineering.
Special possession of an appropriate driver’s license valid in the State of North Carolina.
To view more and apply, click here.