December 26, 2019
City of Statesville
GENERAL STATEMENT OF DUTIES: Performs complex skilled work in the construction and maintenance of electric transmission and distribution lines; does related work as required.
City of Statesville Electric Utilities Department
Salary Range: $43,590.14 – $71,923.07
Closing Date: Open Until Filled
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Performs primary and secondary voltage line work under energized conditions
- Installs and removes poles; installs and changes insulator assemblies and transformer banks
- Strings, splices, sags, insulates and ties in conductors and wires
- Installs transformers, capacitors, line disconnects and reclosers, and associated equipment
- Changes distribution transformers, phases out and banks transformers, and makes proper connections
- Makes cutovers from old poles and equipment to new or temporary installations of a similar nature
- Installs safety equipment such as rubber blankets and protectors on conductors and equipment; maintains high standards of safety
- Participates in the Lineman Career Development Program through classroom and field training
- Prepares written and oral reports
- Inspects poles, lines and associated primary wires
- Operates line trucks and aerial bucket trucks
- Performs general operations on the Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition (SCADA) System
- Responds to and handles a variety of electrical emergencies with no supervision during the after working hours
- Operates trencher and backhoe for installation of underground cables and conduit
- Fills in for foreman
- Responsible for completing trouble reports and work orders
- Troubleshoots underground, using maps and blueprints, locating equipment, and fault locating equipment
- Works in compliance with APPA safety manual and OSHA regulations
- Trains new employees
- Trained in CPR and use of a defibrillator
- Performs related tasks as required
JOB RELATED PHYSICAL ACTIVITY REQUIREMENTS: This position involves heavy work requiring the employee to exert more than 100 pounds of force occasionally and less force frequently to move objects. Physical activity related to this position may include climbing, balancing, stooping, kneeling, crouching, crawling, reaching, walking, pushing, pulling, lifting, grasping, feeling, talking, hearing and repetitive motions. Sufficient visual acuity is required to perform mechanical or skilled trade tasks of a non-repetitive nature such as technicians or service workers. An employee in this position may be subject to indoor and outdoor environmental conditions including extreme cold and heat, noise, vibration; hazards including proximity to moving mechanical parts and electrical currents; fumes, odors, or gases and oils, and subject to working in narrow passageways or otherwise confining areas. An employee in this position could be “reasonably anticipated” as a result of performing their job duties to face contact with blood and other potentially infectious materials.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES: Thorough knowledge of electric line construction and maintenance work, equipment and materials, thorough knowledge of the hazards of the work and of necessary safety precautions; ability to follow oral and written instructions; ability to perform manual tasks quickly, accurately and safely; ability to deal tactfully with the public; skill in the use of the tools of the trade; ability to climb poles; ability to perform manual work under adverse weather conditions; good physical condition.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE: Graduation from high school and extensive experience in electric line construction and maintenance work; or any equivalent combination of experience and training which provides the required knowledge, skills and abilities.
SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS: Possession of an appropriate valid commercial driver’s license; must meet and maintain minimum training and experience qualifications for the position as established by the department.