WHAT IS A VIRTUAL ENERGY EFFICIENCY CHECKUP?
A Virtual Energy Efficiency Checkup (VEEC) is a safe, efficient way to evaluate a customer’s energy use. The checkup provides insight on their energy efficiency and helps the customer better understand their energy usage. It’s an easy way to help customers save energy AND money. As COVID-19 continues to change the way we interact with and provide services to customers, these virtual checkups will increasingly be seen as a safe alternative and value-add for customers.
CUSTOMER REQUIREMENTS FOR SCHEDULING A VIRTUAL ENERGY EFFICIENCY CHECKUP?
- Customer MUST have a smart phone or tablet device with a functioning camera
- Customer should have a good WiFi or cell phone signal at the home to be inspected
- At least one of the video platforms below MUST be installed and tested in advance on the phone or tablet being used by the customer for the EEC:
- Google Duo
- Ring Central
PREPARING FOR A VIRTUAL ENERGY EFFICIENCY CHECKUP
The Town/City will schedule the VEEC appointment with the customer, providing all relevant customer contact
- Confirmed date and time of VEEC
- Customer’s phone number and email address
- Customer’s 1-year Energy Usage Report
- Customer’s Phone preference:
- Customer’s Video platform preference:
- Google Duo
- Ring Central
WHAT TO EXPECT DURING THE VIRTUAL ENERGY EFFICIENCY CHECKUP
- Using a smartphone, the customer will be connected to a ElectriCities Certified Energy Advisor.
- Be prepared to use your phone or tablet camera in various areas inside and outside the home, including the attic, basement, and/or crawlspace.
- The virtual walk-through or checkup will take roughly one hour, looking both inside and outside the home.
- The Energy Advisor will be looking at the following: Insulation levels, air infiltration leaks, appliances (water heater, space heater, dryer, refrigerator, freezer, thermostats, etc.), heating/cooling system, air filters, attic pull down steps (if applicable), and any other health or safety concerns.
WHAT WILL CUSTOMERS RECEIVE AFTER THE VIRTUAL ENERGY EFFICIENCY CHECKUP?
Each customer will receive a detailed report of their checkup along with our energy saving recommendations. This can be either mailed or emailed. In addition, we’ll send each participating customer an Energy Efficiency Starter Kit containing a digital thermometer, three LED bulbs, furnace filter whistle, and self-stick weather strip.
Do you Qualify to Participate?
Virtual Energy Efficiency Checkups are for customers of ElectriCities of North Carolina public power communities (NCEMPA and NCMPA1 power agency members). To find out if you are in a qualifying public power community and are eligible to participate, visit our member list or call your power provider located on your electric utility bill.